The Student News Site of Archmere Academy

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

Blue Zone
Blue Zone
April 9, 2024

‘Matilda’ Is a ‘Miracle”

Archmere Academy
The “revolting” children take action against Miss Trunchbull.

After months of hard work, Archmere’s spring musical “Matilda” opened on February 23rd. The theater crew has been working hard ever since auditions in the fall to put on a great show for the community, and they certainly succeeded. The main roles were Matilda, played by Maggie Shelton ‘24, Miss Honey, played by Bridget McNamara ‘25, Miss Trunchbull, played by Jack Roarty ‘24, and Mrs. and Mr. Woorwood, played by Brie Cubbler ‘26 and Jonah Tonn ‘24. 

The actors did a phenomenal job portraying their characters, with the main three actors being exceptional. Maggie Shelton gave a heartfelt performance as the main character Matilda, and her singing was beautiful in all of the songs. Jack Roarty stole the show with his hilarious performance of Miss Trunchbull. Additionally, Bridget McNamara captivated the audience with her powerful voice and emotional acting. The ensemble knocked it out of the park with energetic group numbers such as “Revolting Children.” While the actors were in the spotlight, we have to acknowledge the stage crew members that made “Matilda” possible. Head of stage crew Meredith Victoria ‘25 said that, “I’ve done stage crew for my past three years at Archmere, but ‘Matilda’ has to be one of my favorite shows. The energy of the cast and crew backstage was unmatched. There were a lot of moving parts for this show, and a lot of work was put into it but in the end we’re all so proud of the result!” It seems that every year Archmere’s spring musical just gets better and better. 

Thanks to the spectacular performance put on by the cast and crew, audiences had a great time. But students were not the only ones satisfied with the show. Cappies reviewers, the local high school awards and the review panel, all wrote glowing reviews of the show. Sarah Gorenstien, Cappies reviewer, even wrote that, “The cast of Archmere Acadmey’s production transported the audience straight into the storybook.” One thing that all the reviewers commented on was that both the cast and crew brought immense energy, and we here at Archmere couldn’t agree more.