The Student News Site of Archmere Academy

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

Blue Zone
Blue Zone
April 9, 2024

A Snowy Week For Archmere Sports

No school on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday meant that many after-school activities, including games, were canceled. Despite the snowy conditions, teams were still eager to play. Now, with the extra rest thanks to the weather, teams have had extra time to prepare for their games next week.

Boy’s basketball had two games canceled this week, but they were still able to play on the 18th against DMA. Although the team gave it their all, they were not able to walk away with the win and lost 43-37. Despite the loss, seniors Drew Duncan and Miles Kempski both had amazing performances, scoring 12 points each for the Auks. Next week, the Auks will face St. Marks, one of their toughest rivals. 

Both the boy’s and girl’s swim teams faced Wilmington Friends on the 18th. Unfortunately, both teams lost: the boys lost 65-105, and the girls 73-97. Some of the highlights for the boys meet include their victory in the 200 Medley Relay, and freshman Declan McGrath’s two victories in the 200 Individual Medley and in the 100 Breastroke. In the girls’ meet, Elizabeth Maher ‘24 won the 50 and 100 freestyle, Kathryn Pyne ‘25 won the 100 breaststroke, and Katie Hickey ‘26 placed first in the 100 backstroke. The swimmers are hoping to keep some of their great performances up but change the end result for their meet against MOT Charter next week. 

The girl’s basketball team also had a very successful week as they finished 2-0 on the week, advancing their total record to 6-4. Each week, they have improved their record by logging solid wins to contribute to their now 5 game-winning streak. Their game against Howard HS resulted in a 52-29 win and an impressive 18 points from Lucy Oliver ‘24. On Thursday, they faced DMA and came away with a 48-38 win. This game was crucial as DMA had a similar record to theirs and was an achievable win. They look forward to facing Caravel, a long-term Archmere rival, and MOT Charter this coming week both away. 

Lastly, the wrestling season is approaching its midseason mark with a 0-3 record. The standouts on the team, like Jimmy Buggy ‘25, Colton Hadley ‘25, and Seamus Naughter ‘25, have earned some clutch wins for the team, but overall the season is progressing with a losing record. They look forward to their next meet on Wednesday 1/24/24.