The Student News Site of Archmere Academy

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

Blue Zone
Blue Zone
April 9, 2024

Winter Sports Teams Continuing the Hard Work After Break

Emily Mayo
The Girls Basketball Team gets in the zone for their upcoming matchups.

Just because Archmere’s athletes have been on winter break does not mean that they have stopped working hard. All of the winter athletes have been practicing over break so they are ready for the rest of their seasons. With the seasons just starting, teams are trying to find a good rhythm that will help them achieve success. 

The boy’s basketball team currently has a winning record of 3-2. It is a good start to what is certain to be a great season. On the 4th, the boys played their first post-break game against Newark Charter and walked away with a victory, 40-29. Senior Miles Kempski was Archmere’s highest-scoring player with fourteen points. The Auks used their momentum from the Newark Charter game to defeat Tatnall, 46-33. Junior Charlie Malloy had an outstanding performance scoring sixteen points for the team. The boys are looking to continue their winning streak against First State Military Academy in the upcoming week. 

The girl’s basketball team is having a similarly successful start to their season. While they have a record of 3-4, they have performed well against some top-tier competition. With an impressive win against Tatnall and high-scoring wins against St. Elizabeth’s and Newark Charter, the team has high hopes moving forward to continue their momentum. Not only has the team been successful, but individual awards are also flowing in. Lucy Oliver ’24 and Bridget Malloy ’26 were ranked among the top players in the state for preseason rankings, with Lucy at #9 and Bridget at #29. Lucy Oliver ’24 has been on a roll, as she also recently hit her 500th rebound in the Viking Invitational tournament game on December 27th. These awards and recent wins generated a lot of momentum for the team, and we look forward to watching their team grow.

Boy’s swim has also begun. They have a 2-2 record, with solid wins against DMA and Tower Hill. With strong scores of 82-76 against DMA and 83-81 against Tower Hill, hopes are pretty high for the upcoming season. Two unfortunate losses against St. Andrew’s School and Concord HS tied their record 2-2. They look forward to competing against Salesianum School and Newark Charter School this coming week on Thursday and Saturday.

The girl’s swim team is off to a strong start this season with a record of 3-1. To start off the season they defeated tough opponents: St. Andrews, DMA, and Concord. Unfortunately, Tower Hill stopped their winning streak and the Auks lost, 71-97. Despite the loss, , there were some strong victories within the meet. Some highlights include: Elizabeth Maher ‘24 winning the 50 meter freestyle, Kathryn Pyne ‘25 winning the 100 meter breaststroke, and Archmere winning both the 200 meter medley and free relay. Captain Elizabeth Maher ‘24 reflected on the girls season so far stating that “the girl’s team has gotten off to a strong start with our 3-1 record. We start swimming some very good teams soon, including Ursuline this Thursday, but we’re excited for the challenge and hope to use the meet to drop time and get more State cuts.” As the swim team moves forward with more tough meets, they will keep working hard and try to drop their times more before states. 

Throughout all of Archmere sports seasons, there is always a running team, and winter is no exception. Despite the cold temperatures at practice, all of the runners are putting in the work and seeing results. On the 6th, some of the Auk’s top runners competed in the Hispanic Games in New York. Some of the highlights of this exciting meet include: Camilo Alvarez ‘24 beating Archmere’s previous indoor 800m school record with a time of 2:01.24, Jack Maister ‘24 winning the long jump competition and getting a new personal best of 22-08 which places him at #13 in the U.S., Alaina Thomas ‘27 winning the Varsity Silver section for the one mile, and Gia Giorgianni ‘24 winning her section of the high jump. Overall, it was a great day for the Auks and is a sign of the great season that is to come.