The Student News Site of Archmere Academy

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

Blue Zone
Blue Zone
April 9, 2024

Upcoming Theater Renovations

An exciting change for the 2024-2025 Archmere school year is the upcoming Theater and Performance Art Center changes, which are set to begin after graduation. Students start their journey at Archmere from orientation and end it at graduation in the theater. The theater is seen as a vital part of Archmere because it is where the student body comes together and participates in masses. The theater itself was constructed in the 1980s as a part of an expansion of Saint Norbert’s Hall. The theater has barely been touched since, so it was time for renovations for its almost 40th year being a part of Archmere’s campus. 

The upcoming renovations include aesthetic changes and are expected to finish January 2025. The construction will focus on the choir room, band room and theater. The mural in the band hallway by Terry Newitt will stay and be untouched by the construction. The seating arrangement in the theater will be changed to have a center aisle with 2 sections of new seats compared to the three the theater has now. This is to keep the total number of 750 seats with a smaller balcony. There are some logistics that will be addressed by these renovations including acoustics and orchestra pit. The biggest change will be that the wall facing the road will be replaced with glass to let natural light into the lobby and make it more welcoming. 

These changes should not affect the next musical, but they may change the practice locations and delay the production. However, the fall play in 2024 will change locations. Assemblies and masses will be affected the most from this renovation. Mr. Mann mentioned how there is not yet a final plan, but masses will probably be held in the SLC and there will be less assemblies during the year. There are still things to be determined like where the band and choir practice will be during the renovations of the band hallway. Additionally, it remains indefinite where the location of orientation will be for incoming freshmen. 

Mr. Mann, Mr. Ifkovits, and current theater students are excited about this project and the future it holds for the performance department. Bridget Macdemara ‘25 is sad that the changes may affect her senior show but is excited that others will have their first shows in the new theater. When asked about what he will miss about the current theater, Mr. Ifkovits showed his excitement by saying, “Absolutely nothing!!!” You can support the performance department by coming to the winter rehearsal and Matilda this February.