The Student News Site of Archmere Academy

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

Blue Zone
Blue Zone
April 9, 2024

New Teachers at Archmere

This year, Archmere welcomes five new teachers to its Language, Math, English, and Art departments. Mrs. Pisani, who helps train new teachers at the beginning of the year, stated, “The new faculty members are a fantastic addition to the Archmere community. It is especially nice to welcome back alumna, Taylor Tucker. We have a kind and caring group of individuals, and I’m really enjoying working with each of them.”

Mrs. Carmer Trainer is joining the World Languages department this year as a Spanish teacher. In previous years, she was a substitute teacher for the Spanish department, but now she is teaching full-time for Spanish classes in levels one and two. She received her bachelor’s degree from the Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico City, and she then went on to receive her master’s degree in education from the University of Hartford. 

Mrs. Fowler is joining the Math department as a full-time teacher this year. Last year, Mrs Fowler was a substitute teacher for Mr. Johnson and for Mrs. Thomas in the religion department. When a full-time position as a math teacher opened up this year, Madame Thiel offered it to Mrs. Fowler. When asked about why she wanted to become a permanent teacher at Archmere, Mrs. Fowler said she loved the feeling of community as well as the students and the other faculty members.  

The English department is welcoming an alumna to its staff this year, Ms. Taylor Tucker. Ms. Tucker graduated from Archmere in 2016, and after her time at Archmere, she received a degree in Education and Black Studies from Swarthmore College, then continuing on to receive her master’s in education degree from the University of Pennsylvania. She is now returning to her alma mater to teach English to 9th and 10th grade students. 

This year the art department is undergoing a major transformation after teachers Ms. Van Wylen and Mrs. Hoffman left after the previous school year. The two new teachers taking their place are Ms. Rachel Briggs and Ms. Hollie Lyko. When asked about the two new teachers, Mrs. Silverman, the head of the art department, said, “Mrs. Lyko and Ms. Briggs bring outstanding skill sets and expertise across a broad range of art-making disciplines to enrich the Art & Design program. In addition to a broad range of teaching experiences, both of our amazing new art educators also have fascinating backgrounds as professional artists! For example, in addition to her prior teaching experience, Ms. Briggs previously worked for Anthropologie and Terrain designing creative merchandising installations, and Mrs. Lyko has participated in a variety of group shows and exhibitions and her artwork is part of the permanent public collection of the Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, MA.” 

Archmere is lucky enough to welcome five new talented faculty members to its staff. These new additions to our community this year are all very exciting and promising.