The Student News Site of Archmere Academy

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

Blue Zone
Blue Zone
April 9, 2024

End of the Fall Sports Season

Archmere’s XC instagram page
The girls varsity cross country team with their runners up trophy after an exciting state championship meet!

As winter sports practices begin, the fall sports playoffs are coming to an end. All of the fall sports teams are finished with their seasons, except for football who is starting their playoffs next week. While there were some tough losses, every fall athlete gave it their all in the playoffs and made Archmere proud.

The field hockey team competed in the DIAA quarterfinals against Caravel, one of the states strongest field hockey teams. Archmere’s defense put up a great fight, with goalie Ava Hughes ‘24 having six saves. Also, Cecilia Patiño ‘26 scored a goal in the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, the Auks’ efforts were not enough and they lost to Caravel 2-1. Despite this, the Auks had a great season and Archmere is proud of their accomplishments. 

The volleyball team played against Caesar Rodney High School in the second round of the playoffs. Caesar Rodney was the third seed in the playoffs so the Auks knew that they were in for a tough game. While it was a close game, Archmere ended up losing 3-1. It is sad to see this great season end, and it is especially hard to say goodbye to the seven seniors on the team, but the Auks can be proud of their accomplishments this season and look forward to next year. 

On the 7th, Archmere’s boys’ soccer team took on St. Marks in the first round of the playoffs. The team knew this would be a tough match since St. Marks is known for having a great soccer program, but the Auks still came into the game with their spirits high. Despite their best efforts, the Auks lost 4-0. While it was not the ending they were hoping for, the team can be proud knowing that they gave it their all and had a great season. 

While the other teams were competing in their playoff games, the football team had their last regular season game, and their senior game against Wilmington Friends. This was a highly anticipated game because Friends are the defending state champions. The Auks were able to rise above expectations and win 42-14. Quarterback Miles Kempski ‘24 threw for 100 passing yards and one touchdown. Brendan Burke ‘24 ran for 89 rushing yards and one rushing touchdown. PJ Blessington ‘24 had 56 rushing yards, 68 receiving yards, and two touchdowns. Also, for defense, Jack Bradley ‘25 and Drew Duncan ‘24 both had an interception. The team is the second seed in the playoffs, and on the 18th they will take on Red Lion Christian Academy.. 

On the 11th the cross country team ran in the DIAA championship race at Brandywine Creek State Park. The girls were the runner ups, an incredible accomplishment. Notably, Maddie Priest ‘24 placed 10th, Helen Socorso ‘25 placed 12th, and Alaina Thomas ‘27 placed 13th.  The boys’ team also ran great and placed 5th. The top racers were: Camilo Alvarez ‘24 who placed 9th, Owen Parsons ‘26 who placed 20th, and Richie Angiullo ‘25 who placed 23rd. Captain Helen Socorso stated that, “I am extremely proud of this team. Everyone gave it their all, and it was a great way to end a great season!”