The Student News Site of Archmere Academy

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

Blue Zone
Blue Zone
April 9, 2024

Fall Sports Regular Season Ending

Archmere XC instagram
The Girls Cross Country team after placing first in their division championship

This week marked the end of the regular season for many of Archmere’s fall sports teams. While the ending of the season is always sad, the teams are now looking forward to competing in playoff games. 

The volleyball team started their week with a tough game against Tower Hill, a team with a 14-1 record. Unfortunately, the Auks were not able to emerge victorious, but they did win one set against the Hillers for a final score of 3-1. Despite this loss, the team was able to keep their spirits high for their final game against First State Military Academy. This game was also their senior game, so for the first and last set only seniors played. The game was a great testament to the hard work and dedication the senior girls have shown. The team went out with a bang for their final match of the regular season and defeated First State in consecutive sets. 

The cross country team competed in the DSAC Championship on the 24th. The Auks did not mess around for their division championship race. For the first time in Archmere’s history, the girls team won the DSAC Championship. They were led by captains Maddie Priest ‘24 and Helen Socorso ‘25 who placed 2nd and 3rd respectively. On the boys team, Richie Angiullo ‘25 was the individual conference champion, leading his team to a 2nd place finish. After exciting results in their division, the runners are now focusing their energy on the New Castle County Championship this Saturday the 4th. 

The field hockey team had a big week of important wins. Entering the week with a 7-6 record and a questionable spot in playoffs, the team arose with a 9-6 record and a definite bid into the playoffs with the possibility of home advantage in the first round. With momentum from the weekend, the team faced Tower Hill for their senior night and won 2-0 with both goals assisted by Maura Read ‘25 and scored by Katie Schaller ‘24. This encouraging win led the team into their game against Tatnall on Thursday to wrap up their regular season. With another hat trick by Maura Read ‘25 and a goal by Carly Polsky ‘25, the Auks left with a 4-2 win. Both of these wins were essential to securing a spot in the state playoffs, and the Auks were able to deliver when it mattered most. A highlight of the week was Maura Read ‘25 being nominated as an Athlete of the Week, a reflection of her two hat tricks and strong performance last week. Another highlight was goalie Ava Hughes ‘24 reaching 300 saves. According to senior captain Bella Hughes ‘24, “I feel that our team has improved so much from the beginning of our season in August to now, in October. As playoffs are coming up in just a few days, we were all so excited to finish off our season with three straight wins against great teams to secure our ranking and set up the best possible chance for success in playoffs.”

The football team had an exciting Saturday night game against Howard at Abessinio Stadium. The team walked away with a victory of 13-6 after a great game. The Auks scored two rushing touchdowns, scored by Cole Fenice ‘24 and Ryan Hagenberg ‘26. Besides scoring a touchdown, Cole Fenice also had 155 rushing yards. On the defensive side, Jack Chesman ‘25 had a sack. The Auks only have two more games left in the regular season, and this win is boosting spirits to close out the season on a high note. 

Finally, the soccer team also strongly finished their season with a record of 8-7. For their senior night, the team played Sallies and while they did not come away with a win, Jason Lotkowski ‘24 scored two goals and Ryan Smith ‘24 had eight saves. The team pushed on to their game against MOT Charter and capped off the regular season strongly with a 7-0 win. The highlights consist of seven different goal scorers, seventeen saves for MOT Charter, and four saves for Auk goalie Ryan Smith ‘24.