The Student News Site of Archmere Academy

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

The Green Arch

Blue Zone
Blue Zone
April 9, 2024

Success All Around

Archmere’s Field Hockey Team Instagram
The Field Hockey team after an exciting victory against Charter.

As the fall sports season approaches a close, Archmere teams are giving it all they have to end the season on a good note. This was an exciting week for Archmere sports with lots of games, some great wins, and some tough losses. 

On the 19th, the Cross Country team competed in the Joe O’Neill Invitational at Bellevue State Park. The varsity girls team had two runners in the top ten: Maddie Priest ‘24 placed 8th and Helen Socorso ‘25 placed 9th. The girls team placed 2nd overall. From the boys team, Richie Angiullo ‘25 placed 10th and Owen Parsons ‘26 placed 18th, and as a team they placed 5th overall. 

The Football team had an exciting Friday night game under the lights against Tower Hill. Even though they were playing at Tower Hill, the Hillers were no match for the Auks. Archmere crushed Tower Hill 44-6. Quarterback Miles Kempski ‘24 had a great game, throwing for 189 passing yards and 4 touchdowns. Also, Cole Fenice ‘24 had 131 rushing yards, 2 rushing touchdowns, 1 receiving touchdown, and a sack. Looking forward, the Auks only have 3 more games in the regular season, and this win will definitely keep their spirits high.

The field hockey team is on the rise as they used momentum from last week’s Homecoming game to come out of this week with 2 wins. Starting with MOT Charter on Tuesday, the team left with a 9-0 win. While the team had to adjust to the grassy conditions of the field, they were able to have 5 different goal scorers, including a hat trick by Maura Read and 2 goals scored by Ellie Jalot ‘25 and Katie Schaller ‘24. Hopes were high as the team went into the weekend preparing to take on Charter School of Wilmington in their Turf Bowl game on Saturday. This tournament is hosted every year by the UD field hockey staff/facilities. With a big conference game, the team knew this was a must-win game. Luckily, the Auks came through with a huge 3-1 win. All three goals were scored by Maura Read ‘25, logging another hat trick on the week. The team described the day as exhilarating, successful, and fulfilling. This momentum will hopefully lead the team into more wins over Tower Hill on their Senior Night (10/24) and Tatnall on Thursday as their last regular season game. 

The Volleyball team continues their season with an 8-5 record. While their week was not too successful, they look to come out of this week with 2 wins to end their regular season. To recap, this week they played Newark Charter School and St. Marks. Both of these teams have very strong records and were tough competitors. In 4 sets, the Newark Charter Patriots left with a 3-1 score against the Auks. Later, the Auks faced St. Mark’s and lost 3-0. The team plays Tower Hill this Tuesday and then faces First State Military Academy for their Senior Game on Thursday. This will be an eventful week to end the regular season for most Archmere Sports.

Lastly, the Soccer team left this week with more wins than losses. They were able to pull out the impressive 4-3 win over Smyrna with 4 different goal scorers and 9 saves from Goalkeeper Ryan Smith. The team unfortunately was not able to maintain this momentum as they fell 3-0 to St. Mark’s. Finally, the team regained their confidence after a clutch win against DMA. With 2 goals and an assist from Jason Lotkowski ‘24, the Auks left with a 3-0 win. This strong performance will hopefully help the Auks leave with 2 more wins, one against Sallies for their senior night and their last game of the regular season against MOT Charter HS.