Archmere Football Surges Past Defending State Champions Howard High School

Declan Pearson sets up a block for Johnny Kim as Archmere marches down the field. Photo taken by Gee Johnson.

Marisa Pace, Staff Reporter

This past Saturday our Auks took on the state champion Howard Wildcats in a football game not to be missed. The last time these two teams were on the field together was last December in the championship game which ended in heartbreak for many Archmere players and fans alike; however, Saturday’s game proved that the Auks are a force to be reckoned with. Between seniors Kevin DiGregorio’s 6 tackles, Scott Lucarelli’s sack, and Conor Udovich’s interception at the end of the game to seal the win, there wasn’t a whole lot of time to look away from this one. Junior quarterback Chris Albero was 11 for 13 passing for 246 yards and 4 TDs.  He also rushed for 50 yards. Offensively Conor Udovich had 3 receptions for 2 touchdowns and 108 yards, senior halfbacks Johnny Kim had 3 receptions for 69 yards and Declan Pearson had a receiving touchdown. Defensively, once again the Auks did not disappoint, forcing 4 turnovers and only allowing the Wildcats to score once, giving up the most points they have all season with Howard scoring a total of 8 points. Scott Lucarelli had 11 tackles, a sack, and an interception, Kevin DiGregorio had 6 tackles, and Declan Pearsons and Conor Udovich both had interceptions. The team advances to 3-0 on the season and this coming Saturday they take on the Wilmington Friends Quakers away at 3 pm.