The War in Ukraine: A Global Connection

Natalie Gildea ‘23, Editor-In-Chief

Since the Russian army’s invasion of the Ukraine on February 24th, many Ukrainian regions have faced total destruction in what many reporters are viewing as the most dangerous European conflict since World War Two. In just over a month, Russian forces have besieged the major Ukrainian cities of Kharkov and Mariupol, attacking countless other settlements and displacing about 6.5 million Ukrainians. Although peace discussions have begun in Istanbul, the disastrous effects of the war will likely live on for years. 

Although this conflict has sparked sudden tensions in recent months, its roots trace back through the centuries of shared history between Russia and Ukraine. From the Russian tsarist regimes to the Soviet Union, Ukrainians have lived under Russian rule despite having a distinct national identity. As Archmere AP European History teacher Dr. Bucciantini explains, “[quote needed].” 

Throughout the war, the United States has been providing aid to the Ukrainian effort, sending drones, missiles and ammunition and imposing harsh economic sanctions on Russia. Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky spoke to the U.S. Congress on March 16th to request support, stating that “the Ukrainian people are defending not only Ukraine. We are fighting for Europe and the world and our lives in the name of the future. That is why today the American people are helping not just Ukraine, but Europe and the world to keep the planet alive —to keep justice in history.”

In the past month, Archmere has made efforts to contribute to preserving justice in Ukraine. At the school’s March 2nd Ash Wednesday Mass, head of school Dr. Marinelli placed sunflowers, the national flower of the Ukraine, on the altar. As principal Madame Thiel wrote in her Friday letter, “The sunflowers were a tangible reminder throughout Mass that there are those who are suffering tremendous losses in our world, and that we need to count our many blessings.”

Archmere students have also been sharing their gifts with the rest of the world by reaching out to Norbertine abbeys in Slovakia and Germany as they play a critical role in sheltering and providing aid to Ukrainian refugees. After a visit from Slovakian Norbertine priest Abbot Martin in February, the Archmere administration contacted the abbey and asked how to help with the crisis facing them. On March 14, Archmere’s International Club collected donations from the school community for the abbeys, supporting them with ongoing needs. These funds will be a blessing to these religious communities, who are grappling with the effects of violence, displacement, and loss, all while continuing to serve others,” principal Madame Thiel stated in a Friday email. With Archmere’s emphasis on community, the school has adhered to its mission by addressing global problems in times of need.