Christmas During a Global Pandemic

Christmas During a Global Pandemic

Grace Koch, Staff Reporter

While reflecting on the utter absurdity of a COVID Halloween and a COVID Thanksgiving, I was struck solemn by the idea of a COVID Christmas. There really isn’t much humor to be found here, not while we are all going through the Christmas season in the midst of a pandemic. Those of us who attend Archmere have been incredibly blessed with the ability to attend school and be able to make light of some of the stranger parts of teenage life during a pandemic. Our community working together has given us the ability to physically attend school during the fall and most of the winter. The parents and alumni have given us the resources most of the country does not have so we can be together during this difficult time. We have been so lucky to have picked up where we left off, educationally, musically, and athletically. According to CNBC, less than 25% of students across America have been able to go to school fully in person. Even when students could attend in person, many of these programs were not in a position to host holiday concerts or athletics. Many high schoolers are suffering from anxiety and depression or are not getting the care and support they need. 

Hopefuflly these two weeks off of school, I hope we were able to reflect on our blessings and put ourselves in the shoes of others our age who are not so lucky. We all have our own hardships and are going through different struggles, and they are all very real. That said, Christmas offered us a chance to appreciate what we do have as a part of this community. During a pandemic where businesses and schools have shut down, food and jobs are scarce, and people are losing hope, I think it is imperative that we recognize our blessings and pray for hope, both for ourselves and those who are less fortunate than we are. 

This year, we didn’t lose our voices at football games, embarrass ourselves on the dance floor at Homecoming, or wear neon at MORP. However, we did get the surprise, after getting to know our classmates, of seeing what they really look like during the virtual week (truly shocking)! 

2020 was the year of plot twists, mandates, super-spreaders, and quarantines, but we rolled with it. We won’t wake up on January first with everything normal like it was a bad dream, so take this time to zoom with no pants, forgo haircuts and shaves, eat too many cookies, and look around and smile with joy at your totally embarrassing family. While it is not the same, there are some ways we can still connect and celebrate. We can still hold the traditional ugly sweater contest, you just may need to use binoculars to see the distanced decorational clothing. Plus, maybe ding-dong gifting will become a thing. This is a COVID-friendly version of Secret Santa where you buy a gift for someone, then drop it off on their porch, ring the doorbell, and run away. 

But the real meaning of this holiday season is as important as ever this year. When Jesus was born, the world lay in bondage. Then, Christ burst into the world to free us from our sins. Let us remember as we celebrate the Christmas season this year that the Hope of Christ is eternal, and let us follow His example in how we respond to the pandemic and treat the less fortunate with a mindset of kindness and compassion. Merry Christmas, everybody. Stay safe, stay positive (just not COVID positive)!