Next Legal Steps for the Election

Maggie Turner, Staff Reporter

As election season comes to a close, American citizens still have some uncertainty about how the presidential election will finally end. Joe Biden has been named President-Elect as he was able to rebuild the blue wall with wins in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin while also flipping traditionally red states Georgia and Arizona. Although the Associated Press and multiple other news outlets have declared the election over and the Electoral College has cast their official ballots, President Trump has yet to concede and has sued many states on account of “clear fraud,” but many states have dismissed and turned away the cases. 

Biden had stated he wanted to start as soon as possible, saying “We’re going to do exactly what we’d be doing if [Trump] had conceded and said we’ve won, which we have,” but had not been able to receive any government funding or support for a smooth transition since the General Services Administration had not formally called the election. Now that it has recently been certified, Biden has started picking out his cabinet members and is working towards his inauguration.

Many people have countered Trump’s legal motives, like Ohio State law professor Ned Foley, saying “You can’t go to court just because you don’t like the vote totals, you have to have a legal claim, and you have to have evidence to back it up. And that’s just not there.” So far, the Trump Campaign has tried to focus on “a lack of transparency in the vote counting process” in Michigan, a state he won in 2016, but has not succeeded legally. Judge Timothy Kenny has said “This court finds that while there are assertions made by the plaintiffs that there is no evidence in support of those assertions,” 

Georgia has also been a focus of Trump’s team, saying the state counted ballots turned in late, which is false. “The court finds that there is no evidence that the ballots referenced in the petition were received after 7:00 p.m. on [Election Day], thereby making those ballots invalid,” Judge James F. Bass wrote, and dismissed the case. 

To the American people, it has seemed like President Trump has been stalling his concession with lawsuits, with election lawyer Marc Elias saying “Trump’s legal strategy seems to be aimed at denying the inevitable.” 

In the midst of the legal action, President-Elect Joe Biden has called Trump’s election refusal “An embarrassment,” and that this denial will “not help his legacy.” We can clearly say there has never been an election like this before, with the increase of mail-in-ballots and other circumstances, like the pandemic and racial tension in terms of police brutality. With baseless legal claims, President Trump has only made the 2020 election even more complicated.