Is Halloween Happening? 

(0% voted for the piñata)

Grace Koch, Staff Reporter

No doubt, 2020 will go down as the strangest year of our generation. Halloween is no exception. We all know the holiday where candy is free, we eat until we puke, and we wake up with a sugar hangover, but can we celebrate Halloween safely? USA Today quoted the CDC in saying, “Door-to-door trick-or-treating, trunk-or-treating ‘where treats are handed out from trunks of cars lined up in large parking lots’ and indoor parties or haunted houses are among the riskiest Halloween activities when it comes to preventing the spread of COVID-19.” The pandemic has even taken our hayrides and fall festivals. But is there hope? 

What are our options? There are many things to consider when deciding how to handle Halloween this year. How can we keep everyone safe but still have fun? Some ideas include the following:

Socially Distanced Pumpkin Carving: We all know what pumpkin carving is. This tradition could continue this year, even with COVID-19. The only difference is that social distancing will take place. With this activity, you can carve away your sadness. Oh my gourd, I love pumpkin carving! 

One Way Trick-or-Treating: This is a moderate-risk activity where people would leave prepackaged candy outside of their houses, and trick or treaters would walk by and pick them up. This could present a few issues though, because social distancing may be difficult to enforce, and there is no way to know if the people who left the treats were sick and had poor handwashing habits. You also have to watch out for that one greedy kid that takes everything. Besides humans, animals may also scavenge for the much-desired candy, posing additional risks to costume-clad children. 

Socially Distanced Halloween Movie: Many groups of people have already been doing this fun, safe activity. A socially-distanced, Halloween-themed movie outside with prepackaged snacks seems like a fun way to celebrate this holiday. 

Virtual Costume Party: Costume parties in person can be a blast, but that’s not really an option this year. Instead, have the party online on websites like zoom. While it sounds amazing to dress up alone and dance in front of your computer while admiring your friends’ more amazing costumes, there is an upside. This is a safe way of celebrating, and as we have learned, when you no longer want to be on a zoom, all you have to do is turn off your camera. 

Reverse Trick-or-Treating: This is a novel invention we can thank the Coronavirus for. During reverse trick-or-treating, people stand in their yards while others drive by and throw candy at them. The obvious upside is you get to dress up and receive free candy, and you avoid the usual Halloween terrors: Sweating in the costume, tripping on pavement, and panting under that pesky mask (Oh, wait, we do that every day). While fun in theory, there are some uncertainties here. Invariably, traditional Halloween pranks will occur. Think, eggs, toilet paper, tomatoes, and silly string. 

Drive-Through Haunted House: This one’s kind of self explanatory and rather cool – no end to the creativity here. For example this could be hosted in a large barn where you can be terrified in the comfort of your own vehicle, like a scary car wash (only your car doesn’t get washed). 

Piñata: Hang it on a tree, and take out your anger. 

There are countless ideas circling, but which are realistic? After taking an informal poll of Archmere students, it has been concluded that the favorites are the socially distanced Halloween movie, and the reverse trick-or-treating. Put your helmets on, everyone.